Woodworking is never complete without the best tools. You need to have a chisel set and sometimes it is hard to find them without a good product review. If you are looking for what is the best Stanley Bailey Chisels review out there, you have come to the right place because I have pretty much seen it all while doing my own search for the product.
Before I answer that, I would like to give you information on what exactly is the deal with these fine chisels, why are they in demand and why it is a must to own them. A chisel is every woodworker's best friend. It helps in cutting and shaping any piece of wood. It is a hand tool made of blade and its cutting edges are beveled. You will need a hammer to strike it with as you shape the wood of your choice. Chisels are not only for wooden materials though because they are also used to shape and cut stones and metals.
Stanley 16-401 Bailey Chisel Set, 5-Piece
About The Brand Stanley Bailey
Now, it is time to get down to business and tell you what is the best Stanley Bailey Chisels review out there. You need to know this so you are guided accordingly as to why this product is the best because the review that was written was unbiased and it delivers the truth for prospective consumers.
The post by LumberJocks was the best one that I have found out there because they delivered everything that a consumer needs to know about this particular product. From the price to the quality, they got it hands down accurate. For their chisels, they have it available as a 5-piece set. It is way better than using chisels that are made of plastic.
Moving on, based on the said review, here is what we have learned so far.
Pros of the Stanley Bailey Chisels
- 1. Outward Aesthetics - these chisels look good on the outside. Its design was made perfectly with brass ferrules and it has colors that are very eye-catching. Its handles are stained for a good purpose, which then again contributes to its looks. This also has a leather roll made of suede that completes the whole collection. You can put all the chisels in this roll so they are remained protected and secured.
- 2. Blade Durability- For the price of $70, this set is decent enough and it is reasonable to pay for it. It also has marks for metric widths, which could help you measure precisely your project. Other chisels don't even have that, so this is definitely a plus.
- 3. Bevel- Working on the bevel is quite easy, especially for honing a steep angle. This will only take a few minutes, so you're definitely going to save time and effort for this part.
- 4. Clean Edges- You can expect good edges from it and you can marvel on your project's perfectly paring end grain pine.
- 5. Good Handles- There is no question about the comfort you will get from its handles. Each of them is large enough that your hand would easily fit them. But don't worry because they are not too big that it would be difficult to get a good grip out of them. The handles are very sturdy that it won't dwindle as you do your thing with a hammer or a mallet to pound it for your work.
Cons of the Stanley Bailey Chisels
- 1. Markings for Measurement- Although this is already considered as a plus for this product, which is actually a good thing, some may find it rather confusing. It is because this part doesn't really align with how they advertised it on their website. They said that the markings will have both in inches and the metric system when in reality, they are in metric widths only.
- 2. Flattening Difficulty- It takes time to flatten the back part and you will need a lot of effort to exert to make this happen. Some could take just 2 to 3 minutes, while this one could take up to 10 minutes. It would appear that they didn't manufacture it will while it was in the factory.
- 3. 1/2 Inch and 1 Inch- These particular chisels could chip during chopping time, especially if you use a wood made of SPF and then work on its mortises. This shows that you can't control much of the tempering and the hardening of the said process.
- 4. The Top Dilemma- You will notice that as you use it, handles' tops would dwindle and it the lacquer could just detach on its own. This is actually an annoying thing about this tool because it happens while you try to pound it with a hammer or a mallet.
- 5. Color Change- You will see that some of the colors of the chisel will come off as you hammer it. This would result to the entire handle having two tones of colors, which could be annoying. The dust of the color could also land to your project, which could, later on, be a pain to be removed.
It is safe to say that this review is definitely unbiased because of the pointers made for prospective buyers. Basically, all faults of this product were laid out so it is up to consumers to make the decision if they would still want to buy it. But to sum it all up, the Stanley Bailey Chisels are not bad at all and it is still worth your money.
It is not perfect but it does what it does as a hand tool and it gets things done. It is probably not for the extremely meticulous ones like who cares so much about aesthetics after being used. But for those who are just concern if it actually works, then you don't have to worry about it. Some might say it pretty pricey for what it can deliver, but then again it is all a matter of experience and preference.